Welcome to Storie delle Sorelle

Welcome to the blog for SdelleS. To learn more about our book club check out my first blog entry or read about our members. Or check out our ReadingGroupGuides.com interview here! Using the links to the right, you can browse the books we've read and rated or visit some of my favorite sites for book clubs on the web. How about some questions to consider as you read a book? This site is meant to provide a wealth of information for all readers so I hope you enjoy your visit! Please post a comment or contact me with any questions or thoughts. :)

Monday, October 8

2006: Their Eyes Were Watching God

This was a group pick, although I did suggest it. I read this back in high school and just loved it. In fact, I based my college entrance exam on the character of Janie and how she was independent and knew what she wanted.

Seven of us read this book, and our opinions were WIDELY varied. Some (like me) really loved it. Some just hated it. The language was difficult for some, while for others it enhanced the story. Annette (mom) listened to the audio version [note: this is perfectly allowable in our group] which gave her a different perspective than the rest of us. She highly recommends it, by the way!

The voting went as follows: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8 and 9. That averages 5.1 for the official rating. I feel that it is misleading though. In my mind, a rating of "5" is mediocre but in reality everyone was passionate about this book in one way or another.

No comments: