Welcome to Storie delle Sorelle

Welcome to the blog for SdelleS. To learn more about our book club check out my first blog entry or read about our members. Or check out our ReadingGroupGuides.com interview here! Using the links to the right, you can browse the books we've read and rated or visit some of my favorite sites for book clubs on the web. How about some questions to consider as you read a book? This site is meant to provide a wealth of information for all readers so I hope you enjoy your visit! Please post a comment or contact me with any questions or thoughts. :)

Friday, March 27

Meeting Recap: The Bean Trees

This month’s book, The Bean Trees, by Barbara Kingsolver, was nominated by Bev. At the meeting Bev explained the she chose the book mostly because she loved The Poisonwood Bible so much. I think we can ALL agree with that sentiment!

We had a small but lovely meeting last night at Cyndi’s house. Cyndi chose a Mexican theme for us and the food was delicious. There were 6 of us in attendance - the smallest group in quite some time - but discussion was not lacking, that's for sure.

Some things we talked about were:

  • Creating a family vs. being born into one
  • Taylor’s growth from simple independence to more mature relationships
  • LuAnn’s drastic – and welcome – changes throughout the novel
  • Kingsolver’s amazing grasp of language – the believability of the characters, the way we all felt like we were actually THERE when she described the settings (esp. the desert during the rain)

Two of the girls listened to the audio version and said it was very well done. Their only complaint was that Taylor's voice came across as being older than she actually was.

The six of us in attendance agreed that Kingsolver’s writing was strong but that the story wasn’t as in depth or as gripping as The Poisonwood Bible.

I’m still waiting on more ratings but here is what we have so far:

  • 5 x 1
  • 6 x 4
  • 7 x 1
  • 8 x 1

So not a bad book by any means, but I think we all were expecting more after our wonderful experience with The Poisonwood Bible.

At the end of the meeting we voting on our books for the next three months. I'll be posting those later today so be sure to check back.

4 comments:

Molly said...

The Poisonwood Bible has been on my TBR shelf for years. I am hoping to have time to read it this summer. It sounds like I am really missing out on a great literary masterpiece.

Unknown said...

This book flowed very well. When i would read it , the book would draw me in and i could not put it down. It was interesting, how everything turned out, I could not always guess what was goingt to happen. Several things that happened through out the book surprised me. I was shocked when esperanza didn’t take the baby,but on the other hand i thought about it and for the character that is botrayed from her is caring. So she would be caring for taylor if she did not take the baby even though she really wanted to. I do not think much was wrong with this book. This book was a very interesting, easy read. I would not mind reading this book again, I acutually recommend it.

Unknown said...

this book was pretty good

Unknown said...

I really liked this book ,but their were some parts that were gray for me. Like I do not understand what kid would take a baby from some stranger. Taylor already had enough problems to deal with, that is the very reason she left her home. Besides that I do think this is an excellent book to read and do recommend it.