Welcome to Storie delle Sorelle

Welcome to the blog for SdelleS. To learn more about our book club check out my first blog entry or read about our members. Or check out our ReadingGroupGuides.com interview here! Using the links to the right, you can browse the books we've read and rated or visit some of my favorite sites for book clubs on the web. How about some questions to consider as you read a book? This site is meant to provide a wealth of information for all readers so I hope you enjoy your visit! Please post a comment or contact me with any questions or thoughts. :)

Tuesday, October 9

Pride and Prejudice

Nicole brought us back to the classics with Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice. Some of us had read this back in school and some had seen the various movie versions over the years.

I couldn't make it to the meeting so I sent my notes on ahead. I don't know what they ACTUALLY discussed, but some of my topics included:

  • the use of the word condensation, and how it has a different feel today
  • the character of Mr. Bennett - admirable or faulty?
  • the reality of the class structure, and marriage as it relates to that
  • does the book critique Austen's world or merely accept it as it is?
  • the importance of a person's reputation as it relates to family and class

Personally I love this book. I think the humor is wonderful and the writing style pleasant and easy to follow. Since I had read this twice before, I opted for the audio version this time. I highly suggest it as it makes the humor come alive.

Eight people attended this meeting, and there were 9 ratings including mine: 4, 5x3, 7, 8, 9 and 10x2. The official rating was: 7.0.

No comments: